Friday, January 8, 2010

Jan. 8, 2010

Key Verse:
“For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.”

(Matthew 6:21)

Central Truth:
God captures the hearts of those who seek Him.

HEART SURGERY:
I used to worship my job. People say things like that a lot, but I really did. My career had supreme power to jerk out tears of sadness, catapult me onto cloud nine, or compel me to sacrifice whatever was required to serve it. (Yeah, well… ok. So maybe LSU Football fits that description too. But that’s not the point here). At 12 years old, I firmly decided to become a successful electrical engineer. And over the next 12 years, I aggressively pursued that goal until it eventually became the defining purpose of my life. And I did it, and I loved it, and it was good.



But I guess you might say that God proved to be the ultimate engineer. Apparently, God was not content with allowing me to settle for an identity other than the one He designed- even if I was. So He masterfully designed and coordinated, through a series of people and circumstances and events, fundamental changes in me. It happened more and more as I honestly pursued Him.



Over the past few years, I have been learning who I really am- what my true identity looks like. I’m a child of God, adopted and embraced by the Creator of the universe, and paid for with a price infinitely more precious than any accolades I may earn in my short stay here on earth. I am a part of the Body of Christ.


I still get a kick out of working on important projects. But my career doesn’t define who I am. The job is just an outward expression of who I am. It’s a role I play. It’s a passing reflection of my eternal identity. But my soul is still being carved and sculpted to reveal God’s original design.


“For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.” Matthew 6:21. God knows that I love my work. That was part of His design. He just loves me too much to let me become so fascinated with His gifts that I mistake them as a substitute for Him. As I honestly sought God, He convinced me that He is better than any substitute I could dream up.


What is your “substitute” treasure today? Where does it lie? Keep pursuing God, and let Him show you what real treasure feels like.

4 comments:

  1. Wow....you said it masterfully! Thanks...

    ReplyDelete
  2. that was great, enjoyed that. thank you

    ReplyDelete
  3. dan, i can relate, thanks for your insite!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I was reading Matthew 6, that verse literally leapt off the page at me. I try to read the chapter before I take note of the key verse so I am open to the voice of God. I am convicted to let go of my earthly treasure (having another baby) and focus on the real treasure, so that my heart is persuing God.

    Thank you. This was exactly what I needed today (and probably many days to come!).

    In Him,
    Natalie

    ReplyDelete