Thursday, January 7, 2010

Jan. 7th, 2010

Key Verse:
You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men.
(Matthew 5:13)

Central Truth:
We are called to be the salt of the earth. Are you salty?

AM I SALTY?

This key verse precedes the familiar verse that tells us that we are to be the light of the world, and we hear about that, talk about that, even sing about that, but in the same section, with the same emphasis, Jesus tells us to be salty.

What does that mean? First, I looked at the characteristics of salt. It is used for seasoning, it is recognizable, it makes you thirsty, it can help heal, and it is a common substance. So, what point was Jesus trying to make?

Salt heightens or improves flavor: Am I heightening or improving the "flavor" of life for those around me?

Salt makes you thirsty: Do I live my life in such a way that makes others want what I have? Do my choices make others "thirst" to know more of my Jesus?

Salt helps heal: Do I accept people for who they are and where they are and help them heal from the wounds that life has brought upon them?

Salt is a common substance: Do I intentionally pursue relationships in my life with those outside of the "Christian bubble?" Am I investing in the lives of others that aren't just like me?

When I look at the characteristics of salt, I have to admit that I fall short sometimes (many times). One area I need to work on is living joyfully, focusing on the many ways God has blessed me and sharing that with others in a way that helps them recognize how good our God is and that makes life a little more "flavorful" for them. So, my question to you would be, are you salty?

5 comments:

  1. While I am "sleepless in seattle/Macon", I was energized by reading your comments on "salty".
    Well done and a great reminder......Salt also preserves, so salty christians are called to preserve God's Word and Truth...so that generations to come may know it! Thanks for a really well written meditation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job Jana. Going to share this with the Tattnall Baseball team today. Last year our focal point was on "John 3:16 - The Numbers of Hope" and FAITH. This year our focus will shift to putting that faith into action. This will help us. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jana...well said! I am with you on the joy thing. I think it has almost become "cool" to not be happy and joyful. I think society has said that joy and contentment= laziness and non producing. Maybe that is one reason why all the Christians are blending in and not shining. My goal this year is to find more joy in the everyday, and to ask God to use my joy to lead others to Him!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jana, Thanks for this devotion. I love it. What a great new way to look at how I affect those around me. I want to be salty!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jana, you did a good job of pointing out how that "salt" relates to our lives. It made me think about being "salt" in different ways than before! I had notes in my Bible around this verse that said that "Salt" = Strength....in Truth, in Character, and in Attitude. When I apply what you said about each part of our lives, this fits in to those points too...interesting how THE TRUTH of Scripture always reaffirms itself in different "voices". ;) .......shows how True it is. ;)

    ReplyDelete