Monday, January 18, 2010

Jan. 18, 2010

KEY VERSES:

But I say to you, that something greater than the temple is here. But if you had known what this means, "I desire compassion, and not a sacrifice," you would not have condemned the innocent.
(Matthew 12:6,7)

For whoever does the will of My father who is in heaven, he is My brother and sister and mother.
(Mattherw 12:50)

CENTRAL TRUTH:
Religion vs Christianity
-Religion is man's attempt to relate to God through works and to gain his love and forgiveness. "Me" focused.
-Christianity (Gospel) is God's answer to how man can relate to Him in a right love relationship based only on what He did. "Christ" focused.

IT'S ALL ABOUT YOUR HEART
I was pretty young when I sensed a spiritual stiring inside of me. My family was Catholic and we attended "Mass" every Sunday. I grew up witnessing my parents "practicing" Catholcism/Christianity with much sincerity through their good deeds and religious obedience. I did not witness a love relationship with God through Jesus.

As I grew older and went through the "traditions" of First Communion & Confirmation, I began to feel the pressure and guilt of a performance-based faith/relationship with God. It was completely "me" focused and motivated by my desire to "earn" God's love & forgiveness, even though I truly believed that He loved me and sacrificed His only Son on the cross for my sins! Again, in my mind it was not enough or complete without my perfect performance of Godly attitudes & deeds. The roller coaster of highs when being "good" and the lows when being "bad" was a moment by moment exercise of guilt managemen, which often left me beat down & defeated in my Christian walk. I have been a Christian for 38 years and still find myself in this battle!

Why is it so difficult to simply accept God's love, compassion, acceptance & forgiveness . . . ??? Is it because it was His idea, His innitiative, His sacrifice, His way & only way and Not "ours" . . . ? Pretty bold & arrogant of Him!

When I look at this Chapter, I think that's why the Pharisee's had such a difficult time accepting Jesus and His placing more importance on the simple truths of love, kindness, compassion, etc. Their pride and self-centered obsession with knowledge and obedience to the Law and their religious traditions would not allow it!

The problem, frustration, & emptiness with a "performance-motivated" relationship with God is the simple fact that we know and understand the righteous & holy standard that Jesus set! We also know that we can't meet, much less, maintain His standard!

Only when I totally accept this simple fact am I able to fully accept, embrace, & run torward a moment by moment "dependence" & trust in Him! Period! Then I am free to "perform", "obey" and "pursue" His likeness with a totally different "motivation!" My motivation, then lies completely in the humility, gratitude & brokeness for what "He" did on the Cross! Period!

I look at this Chapter and see a self-centered & prideful mindset among the Pharisees. I often see the same mindset in myself . . .

Jesus is Excellent! Jesus is Enough! Jesus Expects us to be Empowered through simple love Excercised toward others and Encouraged by His Exceeding love, forgiveness & acceptance of us(specifically, you & me!).

3 comments:

  1. REALLY well expressed...thoughtful! thanks,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wanted to say, you don't have to be brought up Catholic to experience the "duty filled religion" ...I was brought up Baptist and got that message also for a long time. Stayed in the Baptist church but it was my mother who understood the Truth and taught it at home by studying the Bible on her own and explaining it to us. I am not sorry for being raised in a Baptist church because it did teach me a deep respect for all things of God....but you do have to come away from the "duty" of following Christ because you "have to" .....to the "love" of following Christ because you "want to". That's where I am now and it is so much less burdensome to "want to do" rather than to "have to do". :)By the way, Thanks Dave for this insightful writing, it shows on your face...in the parking lot! ;)

    ReplyDelete