Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Jan. 26, 2010


Key Verses:

The disciples came to Jesus and asked, “Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven? Jesus called a little child to him and placed the child among them. Then he said, I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.”

(Matthew 18:3-4)

Central Truth:

The path to find spiritual greatness is through humility, not worldly pride.

KING OF THE MOUNTAIN

I can just envision the disciples strutting up to Jesus with their chest bowed out, asking, “Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?“ Much to their dismay, Jesus’ answer wasn’t the disciple who had the biggest boat, the designer fishing pole, or even the one who had caught the most fish. His answer was simple. A child.

This lesson in humility reminds me of the childhood game, “King of the Mountain” that my brothers and I use to play on a pile of sand behind our house. The object of the game was to fight to get to the top of the hill to be declared “king” of the backyard kingdom. Once someone became king, the others would gang up on the new king and knock him off his throne. This was a constant, ugly cycle that usually ended with all of us piled at the bottom with scraped knees and mouths full of sad. So much for greatness!

One of my favorite stories in the Old Testament is about King Nebuchadnezzar who was the king of his own mountain in Babylon. One day, he was hanging out in his palace admiring the greatness of his kingdom. He declared that Babylon’s greatness all came to pass by his own might and for his own glory. “Is not this great Babylon that I have built for a royal dwelling by my mighty power and for the honor of my majesty?” (Dan 4:29) Before King Neb had finished his gloating, God stepped in and knocked him off his royal mountain. “While the word was still in the king’s mouth, a voice fell from heaven: 'King Nebuchadnezzar, to you it is spoken: the kingdom has departed from you.'” (Dan 4:31) Ouch! Next thing old King Neb knew, he was eating grass with the oxen.

I must admit that my old childhood game has crept into my adult life many times. Like the disciples and King Neb, I have often been consumed with my earthly kingdom and getting to the top of society’s mountain. Worldly pride has tempted me to lose sight of God’s divine purpose. God’s purpose is for me and for you to be totally consumed with Him and not with status or stuff. He is calling all of us to put aside our childish pride and to have child-like humility.

In his book, 
Humility: True Greatness, C.J. Mahaney describes the world’s definition of greatness as, “motivated by self-interest, self-indulgence, and a false sense of self-sufficiency pursuing selfish ambition for the pursuit of self-glorification.” In the words of our Savior, Jesus describes greatness with the simplicity of a child. “Whoever humbles himself like a child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.” (Matt 18:4)

My prayer is that this biblical truth will break us of worldly pride. I pray that you and I will seek greatness through humility to show the world the glory of God.



3 comments:

  1. Back on the journey...got "lost" for a few days. Thanks to Cindy for sharing on humility. Lately, I have wanted to be Queen of the Mountain at home. My desire for well-behaved teens and a godly husband doesn't always come from a humble heart. Most of the time it's motivated by self. I read today that Jesus wants us to be childlike (humble) not childish (arguing/worrying over petty things). Just glad that He calls me child. ~Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this Mary Engelbreit magnet on my fridge that says, "The Queen of Everything". After writing this devotion, my opinion of that magnet as changed. It has slowly made its way to the side of the fridge:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is so "natural" and "comfortable" for us to think that being "king of our mountain" is in some self righteous way....God's Will for us...that it does take God "knocking us off" that mountain in some way to humble us and to see that. I feel so "righteous" 'worrying" over my children's success, especially, that I forget sometimes that it might not be the same kind of "success" that God wants in their lives as I want. He humbles me so much when I have to watch them struggle and not "achieve" what I want them to...but He is working out other more important things. God help me keep my eyes on YOUR agenda in this life and not mine.

    ReplyDelete