Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Jan 6th, 2010


Key Verse:

“Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the desert to be tempted by the devil.”

(Matthew 4:1)

Central Truth:

Being tempted doesn’t mean we have to lose. It is our chance to finally show true conviction that changes our choices and actions. And when we’re tempted, do whatever it takes to MOVE. Move out, move away, just keeping moving. Walk in baby steps when you can’t run. Just don’t stand still!


LED "BY THE SPIRIT" TO BE TEMPTED???

My kids are playing the Wii right now (a mom’s version of “quiet time!”), and I was just praying before I read His Word that the Lord would speak to me about what I should write. It’s rare that God stops me in my tracks on the first verse! I read the rest of the chapter, but my heart was beating fast because I knew, for whatever reason, I was supposed to dig deeper into verse one. I often hear people ask, “Does God tempt us, or the devil?”. It invokes deep thoughts. But here, the Truth says that even Jesus was led BY THE SPIRIT to be tempted by Satan! (By the way, my mom, Mardi Bass, taught me a long time ago that when you see “Spirit” with a capital “S” in the Bible, it is referring to the “Holy Spirit”.)

So, why would He literally have His Holy Spirit lead me, guide me, walk side-by-side with me SMACK into temptation? Ok, so now my heart’s beating really fast, and I’m curious! I’d like to share with you what I found, so you and I can stand strong when this happens (not if!).

First, be on guard. If Jesus was led by the Spirit to be tempted (and surely the Spirit knew He would not falter!), then surely we will be too.

Secondly, I found in my Life Application Study Bible notes, “a person has not shown true obedience if he or she has never had an opportunity to disobey.” So that means this is our chance! If I say I am a Christ Follower, truly believing in Him, then when my temptation comes, I have a chance each time to show real, genuine obedience to His commands! Wow. Okay that’s a little overwhelming. I have not had a lifetime of hardship like many of those I love, but the last two years have been more trying, painful, and challenging than I would have ever thought I could walk through. I don’t understand everything, but that’s not my job. I have to walk (when I can’t run) out of the temptation to say, “WHY??????” and know that He is there, and He is working on something in my or others’ character.

Third, I need to remember that Satan is real, and his temptations are real. Some things that tempt you, don’t tempt me. But my temptations are real for me, and they will not be easy to overcome without calling on His name.

Lastly, I want to remember that I'm led into these temptations BY the Holy Spirit . . . . So, He’s right there with me, cheering me on, believing I can look into the face of the dark, scary, and unknown . . . and fight . . . and win! I don’t need to look for God around me. The Bible says He’s there. I don’t have to understand. I don’t even have to like it or be happy about it. I have to see that through giving into temptation, I may just be blocking God’s amazing purposes for my life, or the life of someone around me.

So I’m putting on my armor. It’s on!

4 comments:

  1. I love the way your wrote this devotion. It's as if we were having a conversation about Matthew 4. I was always taught that you don't want to fail one of His temptations/tests because the next one will be harder!! I am so enjoying THE JOURNEY!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well written.

    While I don't believe that God actually does the tempting, I do believe that He places us in circumstances where we face trials. In our "650" lead by Jerry, we are doing a study of the Book of James.

    Chapter 1 Verse 13: When tempted, no one should say, "God is tempting me." For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone;

    I agree with your Life Application Study Bible notes regarding obedience and the opportunity to disobey. I think God "allows" us to be tempted by Satan so that we may demonstrate our loyalty (like in Job where Satan went to God and asked permission to tempt Job; it was not God doing the tempting but allowing it).

    I loved the last paragraph where you said that He's right there with me cheering me on. AWESOME !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree! In fact, that's what I was trying to say...I may not have been clear. "Jesus was led by the Spirit, to be tempted by Satan." (Matt. 4:1) I believe Satan tempts us without a doubt. I just also found from this that the Holy Spirit is with us, walking with us through it. But the devil DEFINITELY is the tempter. I'm so glad we're not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. First thing I see here is that Satan comes to tempt sometimes the most clearly when we are tired, hungry, worn out and weak. Jesus had fasted for 40 days and 40 nights...WHEW! I would be incoherent by then!...But I think Jesus was telling us by example here that even HE had to use the Word of Truth to defend himself against the devil's tricks of deception. And if HE did, so much more do I. I think Jesus was showing us that KNOWING the Truth BEFORE the devil is allowed to tempt us, is crucial to our victory over him in the temptation. This is why Bible study is so important and why it is so important to TEACH our children what the Truth about God and life is. If we don't KNOW the Truth or the Truth Giver, and His view of how things are and should be....we can easily be led into things by Satan's cunning lies. We end up NOT obeying God, but "doing our best" which is weak, to do what we "think" is OK....but in reality makes us weaker and takes us right into confusion of seemingly "good ideas"..which is where Satan wants us. Knowing the Truth of God's Word is Crucial...and Necessary.And in verses 15 &16 it shows how Prophecy foretold that Jesus is the Light that opens people's Eyes to the TRUTH. (even Satan had to leave after being exposed to it...;)

    ReplyDelete