Thursday, April 29, 2010

April 29, 2010, John 17

Key Verses:

After saying all these things, Jesus looked up to heaven and said, "Father, the hour has come. Glorify your Son so he can give glory back to you. For you have given him authority over everyone. He gives eternal life to each one you have given him. And this is the way to have eternal life—to know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, the one you sent to earth."

(John 17: 1-3 )

Central Truth:

The only assurance into the Kingdom of Heaven and eternal life is to know God and Jesus Christ. To know him is to thank him, love him, trust him, and obey him.

SAVED AT LAST ! 

As a young child my family was long time members of a prominent church here in Macon, Georgia. Soon after turning 8 years old, my Father told me, "Son, it is time for you to accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior." Of course I said, “yes sir,” just as many in the family had done before me. A couple of weeks later, on a Sunday morning, I was dunked in the Church Baptism pool and was "saved." Everyone in the family was happy, and we celebrated because I was now “good” with the Lord and now had a place reserved for me in Heaven.

As I got older, I was a good son for the most part, didn’t cause my parents much trouble, did OK in school, and moved into early manhood not rocking any boats. At the early age of 19, I married a wonderful girl, my childhood sweetheart and soul mate today, Connie. Time flew by as Connie and I had two wonderful children, Stephanie and Travis. I loved my life . . . . Life was good! I had a great family, great job, great home, great friends, and a lot of great toys to enjoy. I was a good person, I took good care of my family, I was good to other people, I respected my elders, and I paid my taxes on time . . . all the things that "good" people do. I even took my family to church . . . occasionally. Well, you could always count on us to be there Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter. I knew that I was good with the Lord. After all, I was baptized at 8 years old and just look how "good" I had been. I believed that God saves a place in Heaven for "good people" like me, and if needed, God would be there for me. I thought I had everything under control.

Little did I know at that time, I was not "good" with God. The truth was that I only knew of God, I did not know God. To know God is to have a personal relationship with God, loving him, obeying him, and trusting him. I spent most of my life living in the dark and running from God. I was not aware of or living by the verse, John 12:25: "Those who love their life in this world will lose it. Those who care nothing for their life will keep it for eternity." The way that I interpret this verse is, if I live a life of selfish desire and self-pleasure, I will not be rewarded with a life in Heaven. But if I love and follow Christ and I am willing to sacrifice the selfish pleasures that made me love my earthly life, I will be rewarded with eternal life in Heaven.

Pastor Jerry a few weeks ago preached a sermon about running from God, running to God, and running with God. A point made by Pastor that I could identify with was when he said, "You can run from God, but eventually you are going to run into God." At 58 years old I ran into God. It was a humbling yet an amazing life changing experience. I finally understood that God is the truth and the light. I experienced the immeasurable forgiveness and love of our Lord. It had been 50 years since my earthly Father spoke to me about accepting Jesus Christ. This time, my Heavenly Father spoke to my heart saying, "Son, it is time for you to accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior." Of course I said “yes sir.” A couple of weeks later, on a Sunday morning, Connie, my daughter Stephanie, my son in-law Grant, and I, in a three foot deep portable swimming pool in the parking lot of Woodstock High School openly and publicly expressed our acceptance of Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior by being Baptized. It will remain the most glorious moment of my life. Only by the Grace of God could I have been delivered from the darkness and thrust into His light of eternal life.

No comments:

Post a Comment