Tuesday, April 27, 2010

April 27, 2010, John 15


Key Verses:
“If the world hates you, keep in mind it hated me first. The world would love you as one of its own if you belonged to it, but you are no longer part of the world. I chose you to come out of the world, so it hates you . . . . Since they persecuted me, naturally they will persecute you. They will do all of this to you because of me, for they have rejected the One who sent me. But I will send an Advocate- the Spirit of truth. He will come to you from the Father and will testify about me because you have been with me from the beginning of ministry.”

(John 15:18-21, 26)
Central Truth:
In the midst of persecution, hatred and rejection, Jesus offers us hope.
TAKE A STAND

In 2008, I represented young mothers of Georgia at the National Convention for American Mothers in Lincoln, Nebraska. American Mothers is an inter-faith, non-profit organization whose mission is “to strengthening the moral and spiritual foundation of the family and the home.” At first I was a little skeptical about the whole “inter-faith” thingy, but after reading their mission statement, I thought there would be nothing to worry about.

Oh, how I was so wrong.

After arriving in the great state of Nebraska, it didn’t take long for me to realize that my Savior and I were in the minority. Let’s just say, they aren’t kidding when they say they are an “inter-faith” organization. One of our projects for the week was to shoot an American Mothers Public Service Announcement. The purpose of the PSA was to promote American Mothers and to offer words of wisdom and encouragement to mothers across America. About 20 mothers gathered for the shoot and our instructions were to share an encouraging word or our personal motto as a young mother. One by one, I listened to the other mothers as I awaited my turn. One mom said, “Value yourself.” Another one said, “Find time for yourself.” When it was my turn, I shared my life verse, my motherhood motto: “You can do all things through Christ who gives you strength (Phil 4:13).” All of a sudden, I heard, “Cut tape!” And the PSA came to a screeching halt.

The moms and the production team began debating whether I should be allowed to say “Christ” or change the verse and just say “God.” Someone said that we may offend someone, another one said it was discrimination, and another one said we needed to be politically correct. While the great debate was going on, I stood silently and prayed for God’s guidance. My faith had never been challenged in this way, and I wanted to do what was right no matter what the consequences. A decision was made without ever asking my opinion, and the consensus was that I should change it. Once again, the tape began to roll and the camera zoomed in on me. With my heart racing, I stood tall and repeated, “You can do all things through Christ who gives you strength!” This time, no one said a word, and the PSA shoot continued. I believe they realized that I was not budging. Afterwards, another mom came up to me and thanked me for not giving in. She was also a Christian but admitted that she was scared to stand on the truth. I told her that I was scared too, but I trusted that God would send help.

Jesus warns us of persecution, rejection and hatred. But, with His warning, He also offers hope. He promises to send the Spirit of Truth to give us strength to endure the evil of this world and to help us to take a stand for truth.

All we have to do is ask.

“Everyone who acknowledges me publicly here on earth, I will acknowledge before my Father in heaven. But everyone who denies me here on earth, I will also deny before my Father in heaven.” (Matthew 10:32-33)

1 comment:

  1. Cindy,

    what amazing strength and courage you showed during this "trial" Thank God for His spirit that filled you and allowed you to take a stand. We need more of this to keep Christ's story alive!

    ReplyDelete