Friday, April 16, 2010

April 16, John 8

Key Verse:

“I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.”

(John 8:12)

Central Truth:

When we follow Jesus, the true light, we can see how to live.

IS YOUR LIGHT SHINING?

My Bible notes tell me that in John 8:12, Jesus was speaking in the part of the temple where the offerings were put and where candles burned to symbolize the fire that led the people of Israel through the desert (Exodus 13:21, 22). In this context, Jesus calls himself the light of the world. The fire represented God’s presence, protection, and guidance. Jesus brings the same. He brings light.

This verse makes me think about a time when I was a little girl. I was so scared of the dark. I would turn off my light and run and take a flying leap onto my bed. I was afraid that “something” under my dark bed would reach out and grab me. My little girl, Madelyn is now afraid of the dark. My husband, John, actually taught her how to reach around the wall of a room to turn the light on. She finds it very difficult to step into a dark room. It is this way with sin. We let “something”-- like sin, reach out and grab us in the DARK. But we should walk in the LIGHT and live boldly for Jesus.

Think a moment about crime. Many crimes happen in the dark of the night. It seems less likely that you may get caught doing something wrong in the dark. Darkness tends to cover things, like sin, from being seen. Light exposes the truth.

Are you walking in light or darkness? Can you clearly see your path, or do find yourself stumbling along with uncertainty and confusion? The Bible tells us in John 1:4, 5 that “The light shines in darkness, but the darkness has not understood.” This means that the darkness of sin and evil cannot cover up God’s light. Jesus is the creator of light. In His light, I believe we can see ourselves for we really are - sin and all. When we follow Jesus, the true light, we can avoid living aimlessly and sinfully.

Let Jesus be your ray of light today. Let Him remove the darkness of sin. If you already live for Jesus, how bright are you shining His light? Shine His light like bright sunshine proclaiming His love and message. You may touch someone with that light today. I believe that Jesus wants us to shine for Him like a blazing torch—not a little light from the song, “This Little Light of Mine.” He doesn’t want us to wander around in the dark feeling scared and insecure. The way may not always be easy, but the destination of freedom and peace is certain.

No comments:

Post a Comment