Friday, April 23, 2010

April 23, 1010, John 13

Key Verse:

Then Jesus answered, “Will you really lay down your life for me? I tell you the truth, before the rooster crows, you will disown me three times!"

(John 13:38)

Central Truth:

The choices we make, both publicly and privately, tell us who or what we worship and are willing to die for.

WILL YOU? . . . REALLY?
“I feel kind of sick. My stomach is tightening up and my arms feel heavy. I can tell that I’m breathing hard. And I think I might be starting to sweat. It’s hard to tell though, because the room is spinning. Everything is blurry.

I wipe my eyes and try to focus. What just happened?

We were all eating and Jesus got up and washed . . .

Jesus.

He’s sitting there looking at me. What did He just say? Think, think.

That’s right. Jesus was saying He was leaving. Where was He going again? I don’t know. Anyway, He was saying that we weren’t allowed to come with Him. What kind of sense does that make?!?! We’ve followed him for this long, and we’ve done everything He’s asked us to do . . . whether it made sense or not! And now, now we can’t go with Him anymore? That’s just stupid. I mean, if I had to I would die for him! And that’s when He said…

No way. That ain’t happening. He has been everything to me since the day He called me and my brother off our boat. I’ve gone everywhere with Him. I’ve seen His miracles! Thousands of people have seen us together. I even told Him that I know He is the Son of God! What makes Him think that after all this that I would just up and disown Him?

I can’t believe he just said that. Will I die for you? Of course I would Jesus. At least . . . I think so. Oh man, there’s that sick feeling again . . . .”

Most of you know how the rest of the story goes. Peter has given his life to Jesus. And when the pressure was on, when there really was a chance that knowing Jesus might cost Peter something, what did he do? He backed down and walked away like he didn’t have a clue who Jesus was. He chose to publicly denounce his attachment to the Savior of the Universe.

Now, the question comes to you: Would you die for Jesus? Or would you disown Him?

Simple question, right? You might want to think about it for a minute before you answer. When you…
• stay up and check out those websites (you know the one’s I’m talking about) after your wife heads off to bed
• don’t put the correct numbers on your tax return
• have flirty conversations with that guy at the store that just always seems to listen and pay attention to everything you have to say . . . way better than your husband does
• allow your work, possessions, or kids’ extracurricular activities to run your life . . . .

What are you saying about what you attach yourself to? When you and I do these things, are we dying for Jesus? Really?

We all worship something or someone. And there are many choices. We can lay down our lives at the altar of food, sex, money or work, just to name a few. The choices we make, both publicly and privately, tell us who or what we worship and are willing to die for.

Will I die for you Jesus? Absolutely. At least I…um…oh wait, I think I’m starting to feel sick . . .

1 comment:

  1. Great devotion! I've read this story many times and of course I denounce Peter's lack of faith, and want to believe that if it had been me, I'd have made wiser choices. That's obviously just arrogance on my part.

    You did an amazing job getting inside Peter's head, helping me identify with his thoughts and emotions. Thank you for challenging me and asking me the hard questions!

    ReplyDelete