Wednesday, April 28, 2010

April 28th, 2007 John 16


Key Verse:

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."

(John 16:33 - 
New International Version)
Central Truth:





EVERYONE OVERCOME

There sure does seem to be a lot of suffering and sacrificing lately. The economy. The natural disasters happening across the world. The daily little "BIG" things that seem to ruin our days. When everything seems so big, it's easy to quickly become defeated.

However, once again we must look at the cross and what Christ did for us. Here in this passage, Christ says...."But take heart! I have overcome the world." He has conquered sin and death and nothing has a hold on Him. He is Victorious! But how can we take heart? How can we be comforted in knowing that?

Well, I can't help but think about a couple of other verses:


"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength." (Philippians 4:13)

"I came so that you may have life and have it to the full." (John 10:10)


"[F]or everyone born of God overcomes the world. This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith." (1John 5:4 )

"For nothing is impossible with God." (Luke 1:37)

You see, by the blood of Christ, and through His testimony, we too can overcome. Nothing is impossible for our God. So, read these below and see if you fit:

-I was consumed by my sin, but God helped me overcome
-I was afraid to share my faith, but God helped me overcome
-I was depressed and discouraged, but God helped me overcome
-I was quick to anger, but God helped me overcome
-I had a problem with fidelity, but God helped me overcome
-I had doubts of God's existence, but God helped me overcome
-I had addictions, but God helped me overcome

So what are you struggling with today? What giant are you facing that seems too large? REMEMBER what Christ said......"take heart." In other words.....with a soft whisper...."It's gonna be O.K. WE'RE gonna do this."

1 comment:

  1. amanda, if you only knew the giants in my family(extended too)that we are dealing with. the devotion you wrote just points even stronger that God knows our every joy, sorrow, pain, fear, worry, our everything. His timing was so perfect through you! there could NOT have been a more perfect devotion for me to GET back on the journey, i hate to admit, and read this morning. i have forwarded it to all my family to read so we can remember that God is WITH US no matter what we face. we just have to remember to let Him in! thanks so much for this!!

    ReplyDelete