Friday, April 2, 2010

April 2 - Luke 22

KEY VERSE: 

On reaching the place, he said to them, "Pray that you will not fall into temptation."

(Luke 22:40)

CENTRAL TRUTH: 

Prayer changes things!!

DO YOU PRAY EVERYDAY ?

The first time I read this chapter it brought back memories from my childhood. My family and I were in a passion play called “He Touched Me” at our church. It was a very powerful play based on the last days Jesus was on earth. We did it every year starting about six weeks before Easter with standing-room-only crowds that came by bus from all over Georgia. It was so real to me. So when I read Luke 22, I could see Jesus at the last supper, Judas betraying Jesus, and the disciples with Jesus praying on the Mount. I can still remember our pastor, who played Jesus, saying “pray so that you will not fall into temptation.” Jesus actually says this to his disciples twice in this chapter, which really grabbed my attention because prayer is very big part of our daily life.

Bedtime prayers are done by Wes, and my kids will not go upstairs without him going and praying with them. I sometimes come in for goodnight kisses, and my children will be praying with each other or to themselves. There is nothing more rewarding than hearing your son praying with his younger sister or listening to your children praying for their friends and family.

I pray with the kids on the way to school, usually the same place on Catherine Drive (the back road in to Tattnall). If you see me swerving, I could have accidentally closed my eyes in prayer. (Really, if we are having a car study session or if I possibly take a cell call, my kids are quick to remind me to pray.) We are definitely not prepared for our day without a prayer, even if it is just a quick "shout out" to tell Jesus thanks for the beautiful day and that we love Him. I cannot imagine making through a day without prayer because I see daily what it is doing in my family’s life.

I challenge each of you to pray every day. You will soon see how prayer changes things.

No comments:

Post a Comment