Wednesday, March 3, 2010

March 3, Mark 16


Key Verse:
Then the disciples went out and preached everywhere, and the Lord worked with them and confirmed his word by the signs that accompanied it.
(Mark 16:20)
Central Truth:
Becoming one of Jesus’ followers means we receive His power to SERVE!
POWER TO SERVE
Have you ever thought about that when you become a believer, you have the Holy Spirit literally living in you? Most church goers have likely heard that. But have you realized that means you have the POWER of Christ in you? I was struck by that in this chapter. The Jesus that took all of my sin, died, came back to life, and ascended in heaven also left ME the chance to have His Spirit abide in my body.
My Bible notes say, “the world sees power as a way to gain control over others. But Jesus, with all authority and power, chose to serve others.”
Many times I’ve thought how having the Holy Spirit inside me means I’m saved, I’m loved, I’m helped in daily life; but it means also that I’m empowered. So what do I have the “power” to do? Selfishly, I like to think I have the power to be strong, discerning, wise, secure, etc. But we also have the power to SERVE, beyond ways the world can serve. I believe that’s when we are most like Jesus. He was not just a leader, but a servant-leader. Jesus is in heaven now, but we get a chance to partner with Him and serve others - the way He would.
I clearly remember one family holiday far better than any others. I love my family and the turkey and the traditions, but the Thanksgiving that sticks out for me wasn’t about that. My parents decided to take my two teenage brothers and elementary-aged me to the homeless shelter on Thanksgiving Day to serve them their dinner. I remember being afraid and uncomfortable as I put all the green beans on the plates. I remember sitting down with my dad and a man with nothing to his name and realizing, as my dad was so friendly and respectful in his conversation with this man, that he was a person just like I was. He had needs for acceptance, friendship, and love just like I did. It’s a moment I’ll never forget. I can sincerely say that is my favorite Thanksgiving memory. And it had NOTHING to do with me.
Mark 16:20 says, his “disciples went out and preached everywhere, and the Lord WORKED WITH THEM”. What if you and I prayerfully seek out where he wants us to “preach”? (which I think can be more than just words…but actions that show who Christ is to others). He will work with us to accomplish His purpose! Cool! I don’t have to do it all. I reach out, and He will work WITH me. That makes a daunting job seem less daunting. Even if I mess up, I have the God of the universe working with me on the job; so, will His plan be ruined? I don’t think so!
Let’s be different from the world, like we’re supposed to be, and quit looking out for number one. We'll find that the best way to fulfill the life of “number one” is by impacting the lives of others for eternity!

No comments:

Post a Comment