Friday, October 29, 2010

October 29, 2010 Hebrews 12

Key Verse:
Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

(Hebrews 12:2) (NIV)

Central Truth:

The only way we can live in this world is by faith; the only way we can enter into the glory of eternal life with Christ is by looking unto Jesus, the Author and Perfecter of our faith.


This chapter and verse got me to thinking: Why or how did I become a Christian ? What moved me to have faith in Jesus and accept him as my Lord and Savior? I’m pretty sure that I didn’t just wake up one day and decide that I am going to seek God today. I think that my questions are answered very clearly in Hebrew 12:2.

This scripture states that Jesus is the author of my faith. I feel this means that Jesus initiated my faith. He is the originator of my faith; He started it all. I think that His plan was to allow me to experience the difficulties, troubles, disappointments and sins of life without Him. As the author of my faith, Jesus knew that I would reach out for Him and ask for forgiveness and direction at that moment in time when I would realize that I cannot navigate life’s struggles without His help. Jesus solidified my faith by wrapping me in His loving arms, providing encouragement, comfort, strength and direction. I have eternal faith that Jesus will not leave me alone, unloved or uncared for.

Hebrew 12:2 also states that Jesus is the perfecter of my faith. As the perfecter of my faith, I believe Jesus’ plan for my life is to grow and nurture my faith in Him. It is totally unrealistic to think that everything in this life will be all "roses" and good times. That is not the way life is. It is at these troubling times that Jesus will encourage me to fix my eyes on Him. When I fix my eyes on Jesus I can overcome those things that hinder me from coming to a full and mature relationship with Jesus Christ.

We have times of peace in this life. There are times when things go well and we have few cares. We do not need strength in these times because it takes no strength to enjoy good times. It is the times when trouble comes that we need strength that can come only from the Lord. This is why the Lord tells us to "Look to Jesus," who is the author and perfecter of our faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment