Thursday, October 21, 2010

October 21, 2010, Hebrews 6

Key Verse:

We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure. It enters the inner sanctuary behind the curtain, where Jesus, who went before us, has entered on our behalf. He has become a high priest forever, in the order of Melchizedek.

(Hebrews 6:19-20)

Central Truth:
Put your hope in God because He is unchanging.


Ok, I admit it. I’m one of those stubborn people who resist change. I know that change can be a good thing. I know that change is necessary sometimes, but I still get that queasy feeling as I enter the “unknown.” I’m a creature of habit. I like my daily routine. My family eats at the same restaurant every Sunday. We get up at the same time everyday and follow a schedule. I take comfort in that routine. I enjoy things that are familiar. But unfortunately, sometimes things don’t go the way I want or happen on my time table. Sometimes things change.

Why does the TV schedule change just as I finally learn what night my favorite show is on? Why did they move everything from the left side of the warehouse club to the right side? Why is the best flavor of coffee creamer a limited edition for a limited time only? The world is always changing. People will come and go in and out of your life. Jobs may require that you move. Kids grow up. Friends and love ones die or move away. People don’t always do what they say they will do. So how do you cope when nothing seems certain, when you feel like you can’t depend on anyone?

Put your hope in God. God is unchanging. He cannot lie. No matter what trial you are going through, you can take comfort in this. God loves you and will never forget you. When Garrett and I first moved to Macon 6 years ago I was miserable. I didn’t know anyone. Garrett worked long hours, and I was home with a toddler by myself most days. I had no idea how to make friends as a stay at home mom. I was in a really deep rut with no light in sight. Things seemed pretty hopeless. I clung to the one thing that I knew to be true- God loves me. I put my energy and faith into Him, and He saw me through that time. Moving to Macon is small potatoes compared to enduring a serious illness or losing a loved one; but hope is the same. Hope is the key.

God promised Abraham a son. Abraham waited patiently. He had hope. He knew that God is faithful and does not change His mind. And God did give Abraham a son; He gave him Isaac. But God worked in His perfect time and Abraham had to wait for 25 years. Abraham could not have waited that long without hope. “We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure. It enters the inner sanctuary behind the curtain.” (Hebrews 6:19)

No comments:

Post a Comment