Wednesday, October 27, 2010

October 27, 2010, Hebrews 10

Key Verse: 

Remember those earlier days after you had received the light, when you stood your ground in a great contest in the face of suffering. Sometimes you were publicly exposed to insult and persecution; at other times you stood side by side with those who were so treated. You sympathized with those in prison and joyfully accepted the confiscation of your property, because you knew that you yourselves had better and lasting possessions.”

(Hebrews 10:32-39)

Central Truth:

We will experience trouble in this life, but these problems are of little consequence compared to our eternal home.

Standing your Ground with an Eternal Perspective

A few years ago, there was a great battle going on between the Historical Society and our local Ronald McDonald House. An old, rotting house was donated to the Ronald McDonald House with the hopes of building a new house to accommodate the growing number of Pediatric Oncology patients. After inspection, the house was not a safe environment for our patient population and needed to be bulldozed. The plan was to rebuild a beautiful replica of the old home in its place. The Historical Society disagreed and was on a mission to save this house. The case went before Planning and Zoning, and I was asked to speak on behalf of the Ronald McDonald House and discuss the need for a “safe” environment for our patients. On the other side of this battle, the Historic Society was bound and determined to save this old house at all cost. Little did I know what I was getting myself into . . . .

My presentation on “children with cancer needing a safe environment” did not go over well with the opposition. In the weeks following the P&Z meeting, I was “publically exposed to insult and persecution” for taking a stand on what I believed was right. I even sat through another P&Z meeting and had to listen to the opposition refer to me as the “mom of the sick kid” as they attempted to discredit my reasons for NOT saving the old, rotting house. The human side of me wanted to desperately lash back and throw some mud, but my Spirit reminded me that no matter what the cost, I am called to testify God’s goodness, mercy and love- even in the face of adversity. Our key verse does not tell us to run from trouble, but to “stand our ground in the face of suffering” and know that “you yourselves have better and lasting possessions.”

I took a stand, stirred up some controversy, and moved forward with the attitude that as an alien in this poisoned world, I will experience suffering and hardship, but these problems are of little consequence compared to my eternal home.

No comments:

Post a Comment