Tuesday, May 18, 2010

May 18, 2010, Acts 9


Key Verse:
“Go! This man is my chosen instrument to carry my name before the Gentiles and their kings and before the people of Israel. I will show him how much he must suffer for my name.”
(Acts 9:15-16)
Key Concepts:
God does not blink!

Saul & Peter

First, lets talk about Saul a/k/a Paul. He is one of my favorite characters of the Bible. His travels, trials and steadfastness for the Lord are so inspirational.

To understand just how amazing Saul’s transformation really is, you must think about who Saul really was. If you compared him to a modern day villain he would be Adolph Hitler. Saul hated the Christians and was on a mission to destroy them. He was doing a very good job of it. He could do anything he wanted; it was just a matter of time. Then God dropped him with one shot.

Saul was likely very aware of the teachings of the Christians but was certainly on the dark side. When the Lord appeared before him Saul knew who it was.

Enter Ananias. Can you imagine? God asked him to go to Saul, who would certainly kill him without hesitation. Ananias is faithful and does what God commands, and he is shown one of the greatest things about God . . . . We don’t have to worry about other people and what they may deserve or get. In verse 16, God tells Ananias that Saul "will be shown how much he must suffer for the Lord." In a very human way, that would appease me.
Now about Peter: feeling a little water on his sandals.

In verse 36, we find Peter in Joppa. A wonderful servant of the Lord has died, and everyone is in mourning. It amazes me that the people ask Peter to come at once! Even though this woman is dead, they have faith that Peter can help them.

I can just imagine what Peter is feeling . . . . Have you ever been doing something, running, giving a presentation, cleaning house or some other task, and you just get in the groove and know you can do it with 100% confidence? I am talking about no doubts at all.

At the point Peter hears of the dead woman, I think he remembers walking on the water with Jesus. That would be a feeling that would put me in the spiritual zone. When this immense faith comes over, him he KNOWS he can raise this woman from the dead! He has no doubts. I think he was at 100% faith. What an incredible feeling that would be!

So Peter enters the room, fully expecting to leave with the woman alive, and asks her to get up. He could have turned and walked away at this point because he knew she would live.

Can you move a mountain? Actually you can, Jesus said you can. I have had times of great faith, but I know I have never come close to 100%.

It all starts with listening to God. Take that first step, feel the blessing and keep on walking. What a feeling it would be to have your God meter at 100% and your world meter at 0%.

No comments:

Post a Comment