Friday, May 14, 2010

May 14, 2010, Acts 7

Key Verse:

Heaven is my throne, and earth is my footstool. What kind of house will you build for me? Or where will my resting place be?

(Acts 7:49)


Central Truth:

Many claim to know Him, but how many actually hang their hat and build their house on being a Christ follower?


DO YOU KNOW HIM ?

Happy Birthday to Me, Happy Birthday to Me, Happy Biiiiiiiiirrrrrthday to Me, Happy Birthday to me!

Well, yes, today really is my birthday! I clearly remember that day 37 years ago when I popped into this world. Everything was so beautiful, the room was a lovely puke green and orange (from the 70's), my mother was wearing a pink robe in honor of her first daughter after birthing 2 sons, the doctors and nurses were so kind and sweet, and the flowers were in full bloom as spring was going strong . . . . NOT!! Ok, I think you get the point. Of course, I do not remember anything about that day! I was a one day old infant. And, in times that I have gone back and asked my mom about that day, there is not much she can tell me either. But, we celebrate it every year. Whether we remember anything about it or not, we do remember the day we were born.

What about the day you were "born again?" Do you remember and celebrate that day?


Many theologians will say that one should know the exact date and year that they accepted Christ. I can't do that. I remember when I was told to accept Christ, and I did so, but really no life change occurred. It was not until later in my high school years and into college that I really began to ponder my salvation. It was then and beyond that I really began to nurture my personal relationship with Christ. I don't remember all the details of the day I was born again, but I do celebrate the fact that I believe in an awesome and amazing savior. I think that warrants some cake and candles!!


So what about you? Are you celebrating your "born again day?" As it says in verse 49, "Where will your resting place be?" In Acts 16:30-31, a prisoner asks, "sirs, what must I do to be saved?" and they replied, "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved - you and your household." So what do you hang your hat on? What kind of house are we building for Christ? In the literal sense, what does your household look like? Is it one that truly puts Christ before any and everything? Are we teaching our kids about Jesus and modeling what a personal relationship with him looks like? Are we being honorable in our marriages? Are our friendships ones that build each other up rather than tear down or foster jealousy? Do you radiate Christ in your workplace? All of these are questions to ponder.

I think that, if we put as much time effort and money into our "born again" parties as we do our kids birthday parties, we could really start something. So why not?! If you are not 100% certain of some of these questions, especially if you are not sure where your final resting place will be, I encourage you to pray and ask God for clarity. Or, meet with your pastor to discuss how to become a Christ follower. I never take my salvation for granted. In fact, every time the plan of salvation is presented and the opportunity comes to pray the salvation prayer, rather than checking out, I re-pray it in my heart as confirmation as to how grateful I am for the cross. So, as another birthday has come and almost gone, it is my born again day that I hang my hat on!! Now let's go eat some cake!!


If you do not know Christ as your personal savior or are not 100% sure of where your final resting place will be, I invite you to pray this prayer today and then let a pastor or another Christ follower know so you can start a journey of amazing freedom and joy!


Prayer: God, I am not perfect. I am a sinner. If I was perfect I would not need you as my savior. God, today I declare that I believe that Your son Jesus died on the cross for me. I believe that I will spend eternity with you, because that is what you promise in John 3:16. Come to me now, I want to know you more. I love you and am so grateful that you are in my life. In Jesus' name, Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment