Monday, November 29, 2010

November 29, 2010, 3 John

Key Verse:

So if I come, I will call attention to what he is doing, gossiping maliciously about us.

(3 John: 10)

Central Truth:

Gossip is one of Satan’s schemes to hurt relationships and wreck our churches.

KEEP YOUR MOUTH CLOSED

The book of 3 John is a short letter written by the Apostle John to a man names Gaius. Gaius was a leader in a local church and one of John’s friends. John’s letter encourages Gaius to show hospitality, continue to walk in the truth, and do what is right.

John also writes this book to deal with a very specific person and problem. His name was Diotrephes. He was a leader in this particular church and had used his position of power to gossip and gain more power. Diotrephes was a troublemaker. He also rejected the leadership of John. He refused to read the letter that John had written to the church. Then Diotrephes began to gossip and spread rumors about those who did not follow his ideas and leadership. His goal was to ruin people. He even kicked people out of the church who wanted to teach. There is no doubt that Diotrephes' gossip had spread throughout the church causing people to choose sides.

One time my Grandmother, Mama Minnie, told me something about gossip. She told me to think about a bag of feathers. Then she said, "Imagine releasing the feathers on a windy day. After that, try to imagine collecting them all." And, then she would say, "You can’t catch all those feathers. That is how it is with gossip. When you release your words, there is no taking them back, and you will never know where the wind will take them."

My Pastor, Jerry Dingmore, has also preached on gossip. He says that there are three questions we must ask ourselves when we hear gossip and are tempted to repeat the gossip. First, is it true? Second, is it beneficial? Third, is it necessary? I think most of us would stop, think, and keep our mouths shut.

We all have experienced someone talking about us. However, it is really hurtful when someone lies and adds details to our negative experience or story. I will never forget a friend calling me after I had made a serious mistake. She had heard the story (the true and not true) and instead of repeating it, she called me. She said, “Le, I know you. Yes, you messed up; ask forgiveness and move on.” She said that God will bring good from this, and you must learn from this experience. AND GOD DID!!!! I now have a walk with Jesus that I may not have had if it weren’t for my mistake. Did I have to suffer some consequences? Oh yes. But she was my friend through it all, and I love her all the more for it.

God used my friend, Katie Kemper, to help me so much! She was my angel that day and continues to help me walk in the light of Jesus. I believe Jesus wants us to be a friend or a person like that. So when you hear a negative story about someone, reach out to them. You may be the ONLY person that reaches out to them. The Bible is filled with people who really, really messed up!!! In some of those cases, God used them for mighty purposes. Ask God to open you heart and eyes to those who are hurting. He will. Ask God to help you control your tongue. It will take practice and self-control, but you can do it with His help.

No comments:

Post a Comment