Thursday, November 18, 2010

November. 17, 2010 ,2 Peter 2

Key Verse:
It would have been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than to have known it and then to turn their backs on the sacred command that was passed on to them. 22 Of them the proverbs are true: "A dog returns to its vomit" and "A sow that is washed goes back to her wallowing in the mud."
(2 Peter 2: 21)
Central Truth:
Without salvation one can only create an illusion; eventually they will live out what they really are.
THERE AIN'T NO FLEAS ON ME:
While trying to determine which verse in 2 Peter 2 to address in this devotion, I was strongly leaning toward verse 1, which talks about false prophets. I felt that would be a topic we could all identify with, as I’m sure we have all encountered or have even been influenced in some manner by false prophets. However, for some reason, I could not keep verse 22 off the brain. That verse just kept reminding me of something that my Mom told me over and over, “Son, if you lay with dogs you’re going to get fleas.” Now, I know my Mom’s message to me was: Son if you hang around with bad people, you’re going to end up doing bad things and get into trouble. I think Peter’s message is a little different, yet somewhat related. I think what Peter is saying in verse 22 is that, unless you transform inwardly, no matter how much you change your outer self, you will always revert back to your true nature. True transformation can only be accomplished through salvation. Only Christ has that transforming power.

I can look back at my life and truthfully say that I was a good person, provided well for my family, and didn’t break (many) laws. But, upon further reflection, I realize that during most of my life I was covered with fleas and wallowing in mud. I don’t remember eating my vomit. Thankfully, by the Grace of God, at the age of 58, Jesus Christ transformed me inwardly. Please don’t ever feel that it is too late to experience the glorious love of our Savior. I still have a lot to learn and improvements to make in my new Christian life, but thanks to God, I am no longer covered with fleas. Mom, I pray that you know this as you sit at the feet of Jesus.

I ‘m also intrigued with verse 21. I feel that Peter’s message here is that it is not a good idea to turn your back on God. You don’t want to make a promise to God that you can’t keep. As if God had timed this, I received an e-mail yesterday from a men’s daily devotional site called Honor Bound that I think nails this verse:
Questions from a Wayward Man
Making promises and not following up on them is wrong. When you give God a promise it would be best to not forget it or negate it in any way. He knows what you have committed to Him. That which we commit to God is no longer our own; it already belongs to Him. In the first place, all material goods God entrusts to you are only in your hands for you to oversee on His behalf. He lets you govern it to see if you will be a good manager or a thief!– David Raley serves as the Field Representative for Light for the Lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment