Monday, July 26, 2010

July 26, 2010, I Corinthians 14

Key Verse:
“Follow the way of love… and eagerly desire spiritual gifts, especially the gift of prophecy. (Study note: “Prophecy is communicating God’s message to people, providing insight, warning, correction and encouragement”).Since you are eager to have Spiritual Gifts, try to EXCEL in gifts that BUILD UP the CHURCH.”
(I Corinthians 14: l, 12)
Central Truth:
God gifts each born-again Christ follower with one or more “spiritual gifts.” These gifts are to be used by each of us to strengthen the church (also called “the Body of Christ”). As our physical body parts are all connected and uniquely useful, so we are to be “connected” to other Believers, by using our “body part/spiritual gift” to strengthen and BUILD the church—the Body of Christ.
Yes! YOU are gifted, and a Body Builder! Read more to find out how!
I love God’s Word—the Bible—it’s my very favorite book! Because I love to read (and God must think it is important too, because He gave us His Word to READ)… I’m thankful that He communicates through written word. It’s His permanent form of communication to all cultures, all people, always! I once read that the B-I-B-L-E stands for BasicInstructions Before Leaving Earth. Therefore, while we are here on earth, we live strongest when we choose to live in God-honoring ways as taught in the BIBLE, His written word.
Also, I’m glad I was assigned this chapter, because Spiritual Gifts are one of my favorite Biblical topics! Receiving and living out our Spiritual Gifts gives purpose, strength, and meaning to our lives. I Corinthians is one of four main passages which details Spiritual gifts (One way to remember where Spiritual Gifts are found is: “2 Twelves, 2 Fours:” Romans 12, I Corinthians 12-14, Ephesians 4, and I Peter 4). Now, you can find all the gifts! I love to teach on this topic because identifying our gifts empowers us to serve well, without comparing ourselves to others; thus maximizing OUR effectiveness for the Lord.
It is so common for believers to be confused about how to use and apply it the Bible. If you do not have a “Life Application Study Bible…NIV or TLB version”---RUN to the bookstore and buy one! (my Bible Study girls love to tease me about my passion for this, but it’s SO helpful! They’ll tell you that, too!) It explains difficult passages and gives practical ways to apply the truth when you read it. It’s a fabulous tool for spiritual growth….and you can even get one with “tabs” so you can easily find the books of the Bible. There are lots of resources in the back too. It’s a must have. Don’t stare at your Bible and be intimidated, this is available for you to make sense of His instructions and encouragement for you.
YOU are gifted. Read about it. As you read the four passages mentioned above, you will begin to see a connection between your “gift” and your usefulness in “body building.” I am grateful that God has given me the gifts of service, exhortation, prophecy, and love. I don’t have to be “other people”….I can be “me” and be useful to Him in strengthening or building His Body.
God called me out of another church, specifically to use these gifts at a new church called Piedmont. And the same can be true for YOU. Go find your gift, and use it well to build His Body at Piedmont!

No comments:

Post a Comment