Wednesday, June 2, 2010

June 2, 2010, Acts 20

Key Verse:

But I do not consider my life of any account as dear to myself, so that I may finish my course and the ministry which I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify solemnly of the gospel of the grace of God.

(Act 20:24)

Central Truth: 

We should hold back nothing from God but put everything into His hands. We should fix our eyes upon Him with everything that we do in life.

DON'T HOLD BACK

As I read this chapter, the key verse above Acts 20:24 stood out to me and the question arose: Are we true to ourselves in doing what God has called us to do?

We sometimes hold back what God wants us to do in life and do not give God a chance to do His work in us. His will might be for us to do something totally different than what we think we should be doing. We have to put our total trust into God, knowing that He will guide and direct us in the path that He wants us to go.

What are you pursuing with all your might? Is it you career, hobbies, family, or God? We were all put on this earth to serve a purpose. We are to pursue God with everything we have and do. We cannot fully pursue Him if we are always focused on other "important" things. Most of what we feel is critically important at times, is not. In the long run, those things don't really matter. Is this new car going to make me look good? Will this pair of shoes make me feel better about myself? Will sending my children to this school make my family "the same" as the others? Will this job give me the good reputation that I have always wanted?

We need to pursue Christ like many of us pursue these other things. It is so easy to just live life in the moment. The things of this Earth are only temporary though. We should be pursuing eternity. There are bigger and better things just waiting for us. We have to make the choice.

As Peter did in Mathew 14:29, we have to get out of boat and get out of our comfort zone.
What are you holding onto more than God? Don't let your fear of life and what others think get in the way.

Take a minute and evaluate yourself and your life. Are you really pursuing what you have been called to do and are you doing it while holding nothing back? 

No comments:

Post a Comment