Thursday, September 16, 2010

September 16, 2010, I Thessalonians 3

Key Verse:
“And may the Lord make your love grow and overflow to each other and to everyone else . . . .”
I Thessalonians 3:12
Central Truth:
Love will keep us together.
ARE YOU REALLY SHARING YOUR LOVE ?
I am just returning from a medical mission trip to Les Cayes, Haiti. Les Cayes is about 90 miles from Port-au-Prince. By bus, it took us 5 hours to get to our site, which to our surprise, had solid construction, running water, bunk beds and intermittent AC when the power stayed on. Wow! We were so blessed! Yes, there were the usual mosquitoes, flies and roaches, but we had a new friend . . . the tarantula. You know, they are much bigger in person than they appear on TV. I was hesitant going to Haiti at first, but I knew that God had His hand in my decision. I wouldn’t trade my experience for anything. In fact, if it were not for my family and friends, I would probably still be there. I think that I could do mission work on a much more regular basis. My hope is to share this with my children over the years to come.
I am so blessed to be able to go on these trips (this was my third) to share the love of our Lord, Jesus Christ with those less fortunate than us. I have also been able to attend a church service each time. The church service in Haiti was wonderful. It was at 7:30am and packed. Most people had to walk at least 45 minutes to get there. They truly wanted to be there. I could truly feel the presence of God and see and feel the love of the people present. How many of us would wake up at 5:30 and walk 45 minutes or more in the heat to go to church. I doubt that many.
All that being said, something keeps bothering me and sits heavy on my heart every time I go. For some reason, witnessing and praying openly with others comes so much easier when there is a language barrier and you need a translator. There is absolutely no hesitation in your purpose, and you know that you are not being judged by the recipient. In fact, they value your time and your efforts and thank you for leaving your family to come to their aid. Unfortunately, back home things seem so different. As a whole, we are quick to speak, slow to listen, judgmental and easily offended. Why is that? Why does our love for one another and our visible faith seem so different than the love and visible faith witnessed in those less fortunate? They seem so much stronger in their faith and selfless in their actions. Is their love overflowing to each other and ours still in the growing stage?
I don’t know the answer. I can say that they truly look out for each other. I gave my orphan buddy, Donald, a protein bar. They only get fed twice a day, and his last meal was at 4pm. He did not run and hide and eat it all by himself. He called over 9 friends, and they split this bar 10 ways, each only getting a small bite. The same thing happened with the clothes that we brought for the community. They gave the clothes to those who needed them most instead of keeping them for themselves. Wow! Just thinking about this brings tears to my eyes. I haven’t felt that good in years. Sharing was the norm around there. True community was visible and tangible and so sincere. Their love for one another was so evident. I Thes. 3:12 was clearly illustrated right before my eyes.
I went to Haiti with the goal of sharing my love for Jesus Christ and my love for my fellow man, but I honestly believe I got back more than I could ever give. The hand holding, the arm around my shoulder, the hugs, the calling of my name through the crowd, the smiles, the laughter, the silent moments just sitting and holding each other…..PRICELESS! I can still close my eyes and go right back to that peace, serenity, and overwhelming joy. Lord, please do not let me lose these moments. The Haitian community that we came in contact with had no reservations in letting those around them see their faith, hear their hope, and feel their love. Lord, I pray that our community in Macon, Georgia can emulate that witnessed in Haiti. After all that they have been through (floods, earthquakes, 70% unemployment), they have not given up hope. And they will tell you that their hope comes from the Lord. A beautiful testimony in and of itself. Love truly does keep them together.
Prayer: Dear Heavenly Father, please help me to be more transparent and willing to openly share my faith and love with those around me. Help me to come out of my comfort zone to carry out your will. Remind me that faith, hope and love will endure but that the greatest of these is love. Thank you God. Amen.

1 comment: